Sunday, December 11, 2011

thinking about evidence......like csi?

OMG I am kinda all over the board here! But here we go!

Thesis: People should eat locally grown food rather than buying organic food at the supermarket.

Evidence: Most farm land in the Midwest is being farmed by seeds from Monstano. These crops are used to products like soybeans and corn syrup.  (weak)  So what?  What does this mean to the conscious consumer?
Evidence: Most farmers at the farmer's market are not organically certified. (weak) It may be true but how I present it hurts my claims and doesn't support what I am trying to say!
Evidence:CSA programs (strong) good affordable option for people who want to support local farmer and businesses and to continue to make healthy food choices.
Evidence:people believe that eating organic is a healthy choice and is better than eating non organic.
I have mixed options on this ....evidence is strong that the public thinks it is safe for consumption and all that ....but it hurts my argument.
Evidence: get to know your farmer. (strong ) many people would benefit if they knew where their food came from. Small farms would prosper.
Evidence: Purchasing locally grown food is cost effective. (strong) It is true and I have data to support claim.

I have many more claims....but this exercise just prove to me that my evidence is weak and I need to go back to the structure and improve my evidence to support my claims.....making my paper better in the process. Ouch this was painful:(

No comments:

Post a Comment