Sunday, December 11, 2011

The paper I'm thankful for

I would say by far my favorite paper so far that I have written has been my literary narrative. Why? Because I could write in a personal voice. I enjoy this, because after having been out of school for so long I find academic writing to be hard. Since I wrote this paper telling a story about myself, I felt it was easy. Reflecting back on the memories of going to the grocery store with my mom was fun. It reminded me of simpler times, and a uncomplicated life.  Since taking English 101 I have struggled with writing. But this has been the only assignment that I felt at easy writing. I tried applying this writing style to my other writing assignment and it was met with not so great results. I wrote my first draft of my ad analysis in this way.....from a mother's perspective. My wake up call came when the student at the writing center said "Is this paper about you or Ikea?" I could not help but laugh and think of Jan on the Brady Bunch. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha....it is always about Marsha!
Well if I am going to make it in college I have to learn to write in a academic voice and not personal voice. So the process begins...........
I am choosing to rewrite my argument paper for my portfolio. It was the hardest paper to write and my grade reflected it.  My goal is to master this argument style. It has been a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment