Sunday, October 23, 2011

Argument article

In my essay I choose to argue Charles Murray article "Should the Obama Generation Drop Out?"
This article appealed to me because I think that Charles Murray makes some interesting points.
To summarize Murray states that Obama has two ideas for improving secondary education- expand the use of community colleges as well as give tuition tax credits. He goes on to state several reason why these platforms are flawed and out of reach for most Americans.The main point he is making is that a bachelor's degree should not a perquisite to getting a job and earning a living.

This argument was interesting to me because after high school I did go and get a job. After dappling in community college, I choose not further my education, but rather focus on my career. Mr Murray makes some points in his argument that I would find interesting to disprove. Some are outlandish and some have a grain of sensibility to them. I would enjoy exploring this topic on a deeper level. I have been out of the academic world for twenty years, but was in the work force for that time. I have experienced life without a bachelor degree, and made the decision to go back to school. I was successful in my career, but didn't feel a sense of fulfillment on a personnel level. I felt that I could and still can get a job without a bachelors degree, but it may not be a desirable position. Without a degree I always felt that I had to go above and beyond what was expected of me to make up for the fact I did not have a education.  Mr Murray argument is not a well rounded argument. It will be fun to explore all points of view on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment