Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ikea Ad


     Here is my ad from Ikea. I believe this ad intended purpose was to demonstrate that with the Ikea Aspvik cabinet can tame your toy dragon....meaning that a little organization can improve your living condition. They show this by taking a heap of plastic toys in a form of a dragon and showing that the dragon can be tamed or in this case "cleaned up" by a piece of Aspvik furniture. I can tell this by the way Ikea used the look of surprise on the dragon face as she is looking at the office cabinet that is propt open by a thick stick! To me it symbolizes that the dragon or "mess" can be tamed.

     The target audience is anyone who has a huge mess of toys in their house. This could mean anyone who has children ages from 1-10 that live in their home. I guess it could also be targeting grandparents who would have toys at home for their visiting grandchildren. What I found interesting about this ad was that because of the generic walls that are shown in this ad, it can really appeal to any age, gender, ethnicity which I though was a smart move for Ikea because of their global brand status. The minimal use of text and elements makes it have mass appeal in a global market.

   This genre would almost be describe as action/adventure or as comical. The stick and rope along with the surprised expression from the dragon echos some Indian Jones adventure for me. It is genius of Ikea to take a boring office cabinet and turn it into a dragon slayer super hero! I have never seen a boring  cabinet advertised like this before so I would say that it can't compare to similar products which made this ad unique.
I didn't expect this from Ikea, and I think I was more willing to view this ad because of it's uniqueness.

   The tone of this ad is comical and lighthearted. When dealing with toys and the mess they can create, I don't think you want to take a tone that can be deemed to critical or serous. The idea of creating a mystical dragon out of toys and having that creature be tamed by a peice of furniture is funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment